Halifax Real Estate
News and Information
Relocating to/in Halifax
You bought a new home in Halifax and you have to move. This can be frustrating
for the new homebuyer. To make this part easier develop a checklist
of all the things that will be required to make the move. Below are
At your new Halifax home:
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener,
telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes. These
companies you should call 1-2 weeks before the closing because some
will require that they come to the house to make the installation and
an appointment would be required.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and
send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address. (in Halifax
this service costs about $60)
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines,
diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish
new accounts. - Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business
affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of
the move. In Halifax this may require a trip to the Department of Motor
Vehicles located at the West End Mall 6960 Mumford Road .
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats,
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers
to carry them.